The Perfect Workout Shoe

Many of us nowadays go to the gym or have some form of general exercise routine be it running in the park or working out weights indoors. Whatever the scenario we all need the support of a good shoe to keep us supported and comfortable during the workout because obviously no one wants a sore heel stopping them from reaching their goals. Am I right? Or am I right? 

Now you may be reading this waiting for that simple answer, you know the one where I show you a picture and a price and say go buy these shoes they are the best out and they will absolutely help your workout. Well... here's where it gets a little more tricky because there is no such thing as a universal perfect workout shoe. Everyone is different and everyones needs are different. But here's the fun bit and where I can actually help. So lets get into it shall we...

Firstly you need to identify where you will be working out, indoors or outdoors or a bit of both. Terrain will determine a lot say if you're a runner and like to go on trail runs then you'll need a shoe that can withstand the test of the harsh terrain as opposed to if you workout predominantly at the gym indoors where a more lighter softer soled shoe will be completely fine for that terrain. 

Now comes the more specific area that will determine a more suitable fit so to speak. Now I know most of you likely use one pair of shoes for all workouts, I mean who needs two pairs of trainers right? Well your girl here is one of those who likes several depending on what I am training. 

So here's my little 2cents... my routine is in the gym, so a softer terrain that's the first question answered. Secondly I train weights everyday with cardio as a warm up. One day is arms and one day is legs so that should give some more clarity on my general routine. Now we're getting into the nitty gritty details. Training arms doesn't require your feet to move much as you're focusing on your upper body. Meaning your feet will need support, some cushioning if you will. On my arms day I will predominantly wear more supportive and thicker sole shoes. My shoe of choice is the Asics Fuze X Lyte II, they have the feature of an orthopaedic style insert that allows for more support on my heels which you need when you're lifting heavy. I find these shoes comfortable and secure for arm days, never have I had sore feet after wearing them.




Well can you believe it, we're almost at the finish line. See I told you we'd get there. Now it's time for those lower body days, the leg days that we all either love or hate, or dread. Popular to what you may believe leg days are when you don't need that extra padding or cushioning because all that does it take you further away from the ground. To really work those legs you want to be as close to the ground as possible and man do I feel it since changing my shoes to ones with a thinner sole and no cushioning. For my leg days I wear the Nike flex contact these are mainly known as lifestyle or running shoes. But man I tell yah since swapping out my Asics for these babies my legs really do feel the strain of the weights. Sometimes you don't need to whack on an extra 5kgs to that barbell instead you just need to swap out your shoes to really feel the burn. Trust me your calves will be looking mighty firm in no time at all.



Now I'm going to be straight up with you guys, I'm no expert and I'm no personal trainer but I do know what works for me and my needs. Not everyone is the same so don't be disheartened if these shoes aren't for you because it certainly isn't a one shoe fits all scenario. My best advice would be to go into as many shoe stores you want and try on every and any shoe, you'll be surprised at what you like and don't like. Now don't be afraid to do some squats or some lunges to get the feel of the shoe. After all they need to support you and be comfortable. Looks aren't everything. Finally have some fun, finding that right shoe for you is a journey, it may take a day or it may take a week. For me I'm still in the process of finding a third pair to add to my collection for those cardio based days. It just takes some time. Have fun shopping. 




------ --------- ------------ ------------------------ ------------ ---------------- ----------------- ----------

Asics 

Nike Flex






Comments